2020: Innovated library for the digitally skilled society of Lithuania
The Association Langas Į Ateitį (LiA) has been the Lithuanian national partner for ALL DIGITAL Week since its kick-off back in 2010. In 2020, for the 11th time, Langas į ateitį led the campaign in Lithuania. However, it was the first time when association had to organize the initiative online only, and it was a great risk to miss the campaign due to Coronavirus restrictions. But together with partners Langas I ateiti achieved its goal to organize a campaign, which encouraged people to use the internet and discover how many different activities are offered online.
Starting with the first day of All Digital Week 2020, 54 different activities like online seminars, video lessons and educational tools, tests were offered on the following topics:
- Monday – communication online
- Tuesday – online banking
- Wednesday – online shopping
- Thursday – critical thinking
- Friday – e-government services
This year Langas I ateiti decided to focus more on developing critical thinking skills, which have become extremely important in the pandemic situation. Today, critical thinking is a key competence, which is as important as reading or writing, although this skill must be constantly updated and improved. That is why All Digital Week 2020 campaign in LT started with the test “Do you think critically?” and “12 Critical Thinking Tips” online. The tool suggested to consider the information source, check the author, look for supporting sources, ask experts and do not share the information until you are sure it is accurate. During the campaign, Lithuanian citizens were actively using the tool – over 1,300 participants.
Langas I ateiti also hosted an online discussion “I do (not) Think Critical”, during which well-known experts shared their opinion on the digital age challenges, gave advice on how to protect yourself and use media to your advantage.
One of the exceptionally new educational tool, created by Langas I ateiti experts together with Association of Lithuanian banks, was DEMO BANK, which allows to practice e-banking services without being a user. The goal is to encourage non-users to see e-banking service from “inside”, practice it, see the advantages, measure its convenience, get confidence in using this e-service. DEMO Bank can be found on www.epilietis.eu. During All Digital Week it was used by 870 site visitors and received a lot of good evaluation. The tool will be used in the future and will offer more functions for e-banking service training.
There were about 1,100 visitors each day on the website. The most popular topic was online banking (2,000 visitors), the most popular activities were video lessons, Critical Thinking Tips and test, and the most popular video lessons were about safer internet, digital creation, smartphones.
During this difficult time 187 Lithuanian public libraries and their branches actively participated in promoting Langas I ateiti activities online involving 8,657 people in them. A lot of publicity in mass media helped to reach a similar number of participants as in previous years.
Almost 770,000 people were reached by media activities. Some of the media instances:
- TV “Great news for the knowledge seekers – Digital Week will help to overcome boredom during this quarantine”
- News portal “Digital Week online will help to overcome boredom during this quarantine”
- FB post “Education and critical thinking will protect us”
- FB video post “Grandpa Vincas shares his tips during quarantine“
- FB post “Critical thinking is the main theme of All Digital Week this year“
Contact: Simona Gogelyte
- Report on ALL DIGITAL Week 2018 activities in Lithuania
- Blogpost on Unite-IT: Traditional and New Features of ALL DIGITAL Week 2018 in Lithuania
- PHOTOS: ALL DIGITAL Week 2018 in Lithuania
- Overview of ALL DIGITAL Week commitments in Lithuania
- Cybersecurity and e-Services training in partnership with banks in Lithuania
- GOW17 in Lithuania: Online with confidence and better skills
- Cybersecurity and “brain fight” for the GOW17 in Lithuania (Young Digital Changemaker)
- First “Personal Image in Social Media” training (Young Digital Changemaker)
- Overview of GOW17 commitments and activities in Lithuania
- Overview of GOW16 commitments and activities in Lithuania
- Blogpost: Short Summary of Get Online Week 2016 in Lithuania
- Blogpost: Get Online Week 2016 in Lithuania: Discover More
- Video: Get Online Week 2016
- Photos: Moments from GOW16 events in Lithuania
- Blogpost: First impression first, personality – later. GOW in Lithuania
- Photos: GOW 2015 in Lithuania
- Video: GOW 2015 and Fit4Jobs project
- “The Cradle of e-Skills” a GOW2013 story from Lithuania
- Social Networks seminar for seniors during GOW2013 in Lithuania
- PHOTOS: GOW13 pictures from Lithuania
- GOW12 in Lithuania
- Story from Lithuania: “IT Club & robot Victoria”
- VIDEO: Get Online Week 2012 at the Lithuanian library
- VIDEO: Interview with young IT student Mantvydas Vaičiūnas
- VIDEO: Robotics: fantasy or reality?
- GOW12 partner for Lithuania: Langas I Ateiti